March 28, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
• Burke County has tested approximately 83 individuals through the state lab and Carolinas Healthcare System Blue Ridge with continual daily testing as testing materials are available
• Negative tests performed through the health department and CHS Blue Ridge received to date are 67 with 3 positive cases for Burke County residents and 1 reported for Mecklenburg County
• Public information line has been opened Monday through Friday, 8am – 5pm for those with questions can call 828-764-9388.
• After hours, general questions can be directed to NC Public Information Line at 1-866-462-3821
Update from Burke County Public Schools:
NC Gov. Roy Cooper’s stay-at-home order takes effect at 5 p.m. on Monday, but it doesn’t impact the Burke County Public Schools food distribution service.
• Starting Monday at 11 a.m., the 8-school drive-through sites will open and the BCPS buses will roll to their scheduled stops.
• We’ve added 10 buses for a total of 27 buses making nearly 90 stops to deliver food to children 18 and younger. Here’s an updated chart of our bus stop locations and times: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ly2pRz_MktGueSRLfkSDyqgBceflw9KhFfijMlRJVTs/edit?usp=sharing
• Our 8 school sites are:
Table Rock Middle School 1585 NC 126
Liberty Middle School 529 Enola Road
Mountain View Elementary School 805 Bouchelle St.
Hillcrest Elementary School201 Tennessee St.
Valdese Elementary School 298 Praley St. NW
East Burke Middle School3519 Miller Bridge Road
Ray Childers Elementary School 1183 Cape Hickory Road George
Hildebrand Elementary 8078 George Hildebrand School Road