Each year the Burke Soil and Water Conservation District sponsors educational programs for Burke County students in grades Kindergarten through 12 in an effort to inform students of the value of our natural resources. All educational programs follow objectives outlined in the NC Curriculum of Study. Packets of information are sent to each school prior to the contests or programs being offered by the soil and water district.
Programs offered include:
- Essay Contest for 6th Grade Students
- Public Speaking Contest for 7th and 8th Grade Students
- Computer Generated Poster Contest for 9th Grade Students
- Envirothon Program for Middle and High School Students
- Environmental Field Days for 5th Grade Students
- Food, Land and People Lesson Plans
Many other programs based on Core Curriculum for all grades.