Military Discharge

In accordance with the statute G.S. 47-113.2, the following parties are authorized to record or obtain copies of military discharges:

  1. The subject of the document or the subject's widow or widower.
  2. Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing:
    1. By the subject or subject's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
    2. By a court to represent subject, or
    3. By the subject's executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject.
  3. Authorized agents of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a courts official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
  4. Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.

The above parties must provide government issued identification to request a copy of the military discharge. Requests can be made in office at:
201 S Green Street
Morganton NC, 28655


There is no charge to obtain a copy of a military discharge.